NATIONAL

Cybercrime – FBI Investigation Exposes Major Tech Support Scam Linked to India

Cybercrime – US federal investigators have dismantled an India-linked call centre operation accused of running large-scale tech support scams that allegedly cheated hundreds of elderly Americans out of millions of dollars over several years.

Cybercrime fbi tech support scam india

Investigation Leads to Multiple Convictions

The Federal Bureau of Investigation’s Boston division confirmed on Wednesday that the long-running inquiry resulted in several arrests and convictions connected to the fraud network. Authorities also secured guilty pleas from two senior executives associated with a telecommunications services company that allegedly supported the operation.

According to investigators, the scam relied on deceptive tech support tactics aimed primarily at older citizens in the United States and other countries. Officials said the victims were manipulated into believing their computers had been infected with harmful software, leading many to hand over money and sensitive personal information.

Telecom Executives Admit Role in Operation

The US Attorney’s Office for the District of Rhode Island identified the two executives as Adam Young, 42, from Miami, and Harrison Gevirtz, 33, from Las Vegas. Prosecutors stated that both men operated a telecommunications-related business that supplied services such as phone numbers, call routing, call tracking, and forwarding systems.

Authorities alleged that the company knowingly provided these services to customers involved in fraudulent tech support activities. Court records indicated that the executives were aware their systems were being used to facilitate scams targeting vulnerable individuals, particularly senior citizens.

Investigators said the pair pleaded guilty after evidence gathered during the probe revealed years of cooperation with clients involved in deceptive telemarketing schemes.

Indian Nationals Among Those Convicted

The investigation also led to the conviction of several Indian nationals accused of participating in the telemarketing fraud operation. Officials named Sahil Narang, Chirag Sachdeva, Abrar Anjum, and Manish Kumar as individuals convicted in connection with the scam network.

In a related case, Jagmeet Singh Virk was also convicted in the US District Court for the Northern District of California.

Federal authorities said the India-based call centres used telecom infrastructure supplied through the executives’ business to route fraudulent calls into the United States. In some situations, investigators alleged that customers received guidance on how to avoid complaints and reduce the risk of account suspensions.

How the Fraud Allegedly Worked

Court documents stated that between 2016 and 2022, scammers used fake warning messages displayed on victims’ computers. These pop-up alerts falsely claimed that devices had been infected with viruses or malware and urged users to contact a support number immediately.

Once victims called the listed numbers, they were connected to agents working in overseas call centres. Prosecutors said callers were pressured into paying hundreds of dollars for unnecessary or entirely fake technical support services.

Authorities further alleged that some operators gained remote access to victims’ computers during the calls. This access reportedly allowed scammers to obtain banking details, personal records, and other confidential information.

Complaints Ignored During Probe

Investigators said telecom providers and law enforcement agencies repeatedly raised concerns about suspicious activity linked to the accounts involved in the operation. However, prosecutors alleged that the executives failed to alert authorities or take meaningful action against the fraudulent clients.

Court filings also claimed that certain customers were advised on methods to limit complaints and continue operating without interruption. Officials further alleged that the business helped facilitate the exchange of fraudulent calls between scam operators.

Rising Concern Over Tech Support Fraud

US authorities noted that tech support scams continue to cause major financial damage across the country. Officials reported that Americans lost an estimated USD 2.1 billion to such fraud schemes last year alone. Residents in Rhode Island reportedly accounted for at least USD 5.7 million in losses.

Ted E Docks, Special Agent in Charge of the FBI’s Boston Division, strongly criticised those involved in the operation. He said company executives knowingly benefited from fraud schemes that targeted elderly and vulnerable individuals while causing severe financial and emotional harm to victims.

Back to top button