Earthquake – Rescue Teams Rush After Buildings Collapse in Southern China
Earthquake – Several people were feared missing after a powerful earthquake struck southern China early Monday, triggering the collapse of multiple buildings in Liuzhou city located in the Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region. Authorities immediately launched large-scale rescue and evacuation operations as emergency crews searched through damaged areas for survivors.

Strong Tremors Shake Liuzhou City
According to the China Earthquake Networks Centre, the earthquake measured 5.2 in magnitude and occurred at around 12:21 am local time on May 18. Officials said the quake originated at a depth of nearly eight kilometres beneath the surface, causing strong tremors that were felt across several nearby districts.
Residents in affected neighbourhoods rushed outdoors after the shaking began, while emergency sirens and response teams were activated shortly afterward. Preliminary reports indicated that several structures suffered severe damage, with some buildings collapsing completely.
Thousands Evacuated From Affected Areas
Local authorities confirmed that more than 7,000 people were evacuated from vulnerable zones as a precautionary measure. Emergency shelters and temporary relief arrangements were being prepared for displaced residents while officials continued assessing the overall impact of the earthquake.
Search operations remained underway throughout the morning as rescue personnel attempted to locate individuals believed to be trapped under debris. Officials have not yet released a confirmed number of casualties or missing persons.
Emergency Response Activated Across Guangxi
The regional earthquake relief headquarters in Guangxi initiated a Level-III emergency response at approximately 2 am. Firefighters, police personnel, and disaster management teams were quickly deployed to the affected region to support rescue efforts and maintain public safety.
Authorities stated that trained emergency workers equipped with specialised rescue tools had been sent to heavily impacted locations where building collapses were reported. Medical teams were also placed on standby to provide treatment to injured residents.
Central Government Sends Support Team
China’s Ministry of Emergency Management, along with the office of the State Council earthquake relief headquarters, activated a Level-IV emergency response following the incident. A dedicated work team was dispatched to Liuzhou to assist local officials with rescue coordination, damage inspection, and relief management.
Government figures showed that 51 fire and rescue vehicles along with 315 rescue personnel had been mobilised to support operations in the quake-hit region. Authorities continued monitoring aftershocks while engineers examined damaged infrastructure to prevent further risks.
Damage Assessment Continues
Officials said detailed inspections were still ongoing in residential and commercial areas affected by the earthquake. Utility services and transportation systems were also being reviewed to ensure public safety and restore normal operations as quickly as possible.
Videos and images shared from the affected city showed rescue workers moving through damaged streets and inspecting collapsed buildings. Authorities urged residents to remain cautious and follow official advisories while emergency operations continued.
The situation in Liuzhou remains under close observation as rescue teams work to locate missing individuals and assess the full extent of the destruction caused by the overnight earthquake.