NATIONAL

EducationReforms – CBSE Reduces Re-Evaluation Charges After Result Concerns

EducationReforms –  The Central Board of Secondary Education has announced major reductions in re-evaluation fees following concerns raised by students after the recent Class 12 board examination results. The move is aimed at making the review process more affordable and accessible for candidates seeking clarity on their scores.

Cbse revaluation fee reduction update

The board made the announcement on Sunday amid continuing discussions surrounding the newly implemented On-Screen Marking (OSM) system. After the Class 12 results were declared on May 13, many students expressed dissatisfaction, claiming their marks were lower than expected. This year’s overall pass percentage also declined to 85.2 percent compared to 88.39 percent recorded last year.

CBSE Explains New Evaluation Process

In a press briefing held at Kartavya Bhavan, School Education Secretary Sanjay Kumar and CBSE Chairperson Rahul Singh addressed concerns linked to the digital marking system. Officials defended the OSM process, describing it as more transparent and efficient than the traditional paper-based checking method used for years.

The OSM model, first introduced in 2014, had earlier faced operational setbacks due to limited technical infrastructure. According to the board, the system has now been improved significantly and implemented on a large scale during this year’s examinations.

Kumar stated that students who wish to access scanned copies of their answer sheets will now need to pay only Rs 100, a sharp reduction from the earlier fee of Rs 700. Similarly, the fee for verification of marks has been reduced from Rs 500 to Rs 100.

Students requesting rechecking of specific answers will now be charged Rs 25 per question instead of the earlier Rs 100. Officials said the revised fee structure is intended to reduce financial pressure on families while ensuring fair opportunities for students seeking reassessment.

Refund for Revised Scores

The Education Secretary also announced that students whose marks increase after the re-evaluation process will receive a refund of the amount paid for the review procedure. The decision is expected to encourage more students to use the official verification system without hesitation.

CBSE Chairperson Rahul Singh said applications for re-evaluation can be submitted between May 19 and May 22. Requests related to individual answer queries can be filed from May 26 to May 29. He added that the board may consider extending support if additional requests are received after the scheduled dates.

Board Highlights Technical Safeguards

Defending the digital evaluation mechanism, Kumar said nearly 98 lakh answer sheets were scanned under the OSM system this year. He explained that the board had introduced a three-level scrutiny process to maintain accuracy during assessment.

According to officials, more than 13,000 answer sheets could not be scanned properly because students used very light ink while writing their exams. Those papers were later checked manually by examiners to avoid any disadvantage to candidates.

The ministry maintained that the digital marking system improves consistency and minimizes the chances of human error during evaluation.

Political Reactions Over Examination Issues

Meanwhile, the issue of examination management also triggered political reactions on Sunday. Congress leader Rahul Gandhi renewed his criticism of the Centre over alleged irregularities linked to the NEET examination process.

In a post shared on X, Gandhi questioned why Union Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan had not stepped down despite repeated concerns regarding examination paper leaks during his tenure. He also criticized Prime Minister Narendra Modi for remaining silent on the matter.

The remarks come at a time when concerns regarding transparency and credibility in national-level examinations continue to dominate public discussions across the country.

Back to top button