Maoists – Jharkhand Security Forces Witness Major Rebel Surrender in Ranchi
Maoists – Twenty-seven members linked to the banned CPI (Maoist) organisation surrendered before security agencies in Ranchi on Thursday, marking another significant development in the state’s ongoing anti-extremism campaign.

Senior Officials Present During Surrender
The surrender ceremony took place in the presence of Jharkhand Director General of Police Tadasha Mishra along with senior officials from the Jharkhand Police, Jharkhand Jaguar, and the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF). Authorities said the individuals had been associated with several Maoist activities and were wanted in multiple criminal cases across the region.
Police officials stated that the surrender was carried out under the state government’s rehabilitation initiative known as Operation Navjeevan. The programme is aimed at encouraging insurgents to abandon violence and reintegrate into mainstream society through support and rehabilitation measures.
Security Agencies Continue Anti-Extremism Drive
According to a senior police officer, security operations against Maoist activities have intensified in Jharkhand this year. Officials shared updated figures related to ongoing operations, stating that 22 Maoists have been killed, 44 arrested, and 29 have surrendered in 2026 so far.
Authorities described the latest surrender as an important step in weakening extremist networks operating in forested and remote regions of the state. Security agencies have been conducting coordinated missions in affected districts with support from central and state forces.
The officer further appealed to those still involved with extremist groups to give up violence and return to normal life. Officials believe continued pressure from security forces, combined with rehabilitation opportunities, is encouraging more cadres to surrender voluntarily.
Rehabilitation Support Promised
DGP Tadasha Mishra said the state administration remains committed to eliminating extremism while also providing support to those willing to return to society peacefully. She assured that all 27 surrendered individuals would receive rehabilitation assistance under government policies.
Officials noted that rehabilitation programmes generally include financial assistance, vocational training, and support aimed at helping former insurgents rebuild their lives. The government has repeatedly highlighted rehabilitation as an essential part of its strategy to reduce extremist influence in affected regions.
CRPF Urges Remaining Cadres to Join Mainstream
CRPF Inspector General Saket Singh also urged remaining Maoist members to renounce violence and participate in the democratic process. He said security agencies would continue operations against armed groups while simultaneously keeping the door open for peaceful surrender.
Jharkhand has witnessed anti-Maoist operations for several years due to insurgent activity in parts of the state. Security officials have maintained that sustained operations, improved intelligence gathering, and rehabilitation initiatives are gradually reducing the presence of extremist organisations in the region.
The latest development is being viewed by officials as a positive sign in the state’s efforts to restore stability and strengthen governance in areas previously affected by insurgency.