Journalist Shooting – Reporter Critically Injured in Siwan Attack
Journalist Shooting – A journalist associated with a prominent Hindi daily sustained life-threatening injuries after being shot by unidentified assailants in Bihar’s Siwan district late Thursday night.

Late-Night Firing in Pachrukhi Area
The incident took place near Bhawani Mor under the jurisdiction of Pachrukhi police station in northern Bihar. According to police officials, two men riding a motorcycle approached journalist Ramesh Singh and opened fire before speeding away. One of the bullets struck Singh in the abdomen, causing him to fall at the scene.
Residents in the area responded quickly after hearing the gunshots. They rushed the injured journalist to Sadar Hospital in Siwan, where doctors provided initial treatment. Given the seriousness of his injuries, he was later referred to Patna Medical College and Hospital for advanced care. Hospital sources described his condition as critical.
Senior Officers Inspect Scene
Soon after the shooting, Siwan Superintendent of Police Puran Kumar Jha, along with the Sub-Divisional Police Officer (Sadar-1), reached the spot to assess the situation. A team from the Forensic Science Laboratory also examined the crime scene to collect evidence that could assist in identifying the attackers.
Police have begun reviewing local surveillance footage and are questioning witnesses who may have seen the motorcycle used in the crime. Investigators are working to piece together the sequence of events leading up to the attack.
Journalist Was Returning From Wedding
Preliminary information suggests that Singh, a resident of Jasauli village, had attended a wedding ceremony at a marriage hall in Pakdi Bangali earlier that evening. The shooting occurred while he was on his way back home. Authorities believe the attackers took advantage of the relatively deserted road and poor visibility at night to carry out the assault before escaping.
Officials have not ruled out any angle at this stage. “The motive behind the attack is yet to be established,” Superintendent Jha said, adding that a special team has been constituted to identify and apprehend those responsible.
Growing Concerns Over Safety
The attack has once again raised concerns about the safety of media professionals in the region. Siwan has witnessed violence against journalists in the past, most notably the killing of senior reporter Rajdeo Ranjan in May 2016. That case triggered widespread public anger and was later transferred to the Central Bureau of Investigation for an independent probe.
While police have assured swift action in the present case, members of the local journalist community have expressed anxiety over the recurring threats faced by those in the profession. They have urged authorities to ensure a thorough investigation and enhanced security measures.
Investigation Underway
Law enforcement officials said efforts are being intensified to track down the suspects. Raids are being conducted at various locations, and police are gathering intelligence inputs to determine whether the attack was targeted or linked to personal enmity.
As Singh continues to receive treatment in Patna, colleagues and well-wishers remain hopeful for his recovery. Meanwhile, the incident underscores the broader issue of journalist safety and the challenges faced by media workers reporting from smaller districts.
Police have appealed to the public to share any information that could assist in identifying the attackers. Further updates are expected as the investigation progresses.