INTERNATIONAL

US: The claims Maduro’s detention was a law enforcement measure rather than a war

US: By claiming that Nicolás Maduro’s detention was a targeted law enforcement effort rather than the start of a new war or military occupation, the Trump administration attempted to deflect criticism of its Venezuela operation.

Us 4

Secretary of State Marco Rubio denied that the United States and Venezuela are now at war during an appearance on NBC’s Meet the Press. Rubio said that Washington is “at war against drug trafficking organizations—not at war against Venezuela.”

Rubio said that the operation did not constitute an invasion since it was carried out in accordance with US law to apprehend a narco-trafficker who had been indicted. He said on NBC, “This was not an invasion.” “This was an operation by law enforcement.”

Rubio, who made a separate appearance on ABC’s This Week, said that US soldiers were only there for a short time to carry out the arrest before pulling out. He underlined that rather than legislative permission for warfare, the operation depended on court orders and the implementation of penalties.

According to Rubio, the administration is now concentrating on applying consistent pressure via maritime enforcement and penalties. He said on CBS’s Face the Nation that the US is used court orders to confiscate sanctioned shipments in order to enforce an oil “quarantine.”

“That leverage remains,” Rubio told CBS News, adding that pressure will continue until adjustments are made that benefit Venezuelans and advance American interests.

When asked repeatedly who is “running” Venezuela, Rubio resisted. He said on NBC that Washington is using policy instruments to shape results rather than running the nation.

He said, “What we are running is policy,” alluding to initiatives to combat drug trafficking, dissolve gangs, and eradicate foreign terrorist organizations.

Mike Waltz, the US ambassador to the UN, reiterated that point on Sunday Morning Futures on Fox News. Waltz said that the action, which was presented as self-defense, was authorized by international law.

Waltz said, “This is our hemisphere,” on Fox News. “We will not permit it to serve as an enemy base of operations.”

Waltz said that swift action was required to safeguard US security, citing claimed connections between Maduro and China, Russia, Iran, and Hezbollah.

Rubio emphasized that there are no US forces stationed in Venezuela while stating that the administration is not ruling out future actions. He told NBC, “We don’t have US forces on the ground.”

Rubio encouraged realism in response to inquiries about elections and political change. He said on CBS that “these things take time.” “There is a method.”

The administration said that it will continue to apply pressure until US security concerns are addressed and would evaluate Venezuela’s future measures based on deeds rather than words.

Back to top button