Tariffs – US Trade Deals to Continue Despite Court Setback
Tariffs – The United States will keep its international trade agreements in force despite a recent Supreme Court decision that limited the administration’s authority to impose sweeping import duties, according to US Trade Representative Jamieson Greer.

In an interview with Fox News on Friday, Greer said existing trade arrangements involving countries that represent more than half of the world’s population remain valid. He later reiterated the message on X, stressing that the agreements continue to operate without interruption.
Trade Agreements Remain Intact
Greer underscored that the United States expects its trading partners to respect the commitments made under those deals. He described the agreements as significant in expanding market access for American businesses, noting that some of these opportunities had not been available for decades.
According to Greer, the administration’s overall trade strategy will not shift, even if the mechanisms used to enforce it are adjusted. “The tools may change, but the policy remains the same,” he said, referring to the legal avenues available to impose tariffs or address unfair trade practices.
Alternative Legal Tools Under Review
Following the Supreme Court’s ruling, the administration is examining other statutory provisions to support its tariff plans. Greer mentioned Section 122 of the Trade Act of 1974, which permits the president to impose temporary tariffs of up to 15 percent for 150 days to address balance-of-payments concerns. He indicated that a 10 percent tariff could be applied under this authority.
In addition, the Office of the US Trade Representative is preparing to launch investigations under Section 301, which allows the government to respond to unfair trade practices by foreign countries. Greer also pointed out that national security tariffs on products such as automobiles, steel, and aluminum remain in effect under Section 232.
“These agreements hold,” he said, adding that Washington will honor its obligations and expects its partners to do the same.
Supreme Court Limits Use of Emergency Powers
The administration’s comments come after a 6-3 decision by the US Supreme Court that found the president exceeded his authority under the International Emergency Economic Powers Act of 1977 when imposing broad-based import tariffs.
Chief Justice John Roberts, joined by Justices Neil Gorsuch and Amy Coney Barrett along with the court’s three liberal members, concluded that the law does not clearly authorize the president to levy wide-ranging import duties. The majority opinion emphasized that the Constitution grants Congress the power to regulate trade and impose tariffs.
Justices Samuel Alito, Clarence Thomas, and Brett Kavanaugh dissented, supporting a broader interpretation of presidential emergency powers.
The ruling effectively nullified billions of dollars in tariffs that had been introduced under emergency authority. Analysts estimate that the federal government may need to return between $130 billion and $175 billion in previously collected duties.
President Announces Immediate Tariff Action
In response to the court’s decision, President Donald Trump described the ruling as deeply flawed and said he would move swiftly to impose a 10 percent global tariff under Section 122. He stated that the measure would take effect immediately and would be added to existing national security and Section 301 tariffs.
Trump maintained that alternative legal pathways are available to pursue his trade objectives. He argued that the United States has generated substantial revenue from tariffs and signaled that similar strategies would continue.
The Supreme Court’s decision has intensified the debate over the balance of power between Congress and the executive branch in trade policy. While the ruling curtails the use of emergency authority for sweeping tariffs, the administration has made clear that its broader trade agenda remains unchanged.