INTERNATIONAL

Fireworks – Eight Dead in Jiangsu Shop Explosion Before Lunar New Year

Fireworks – A powerful blast and the fire that followed claimed eight lives at a fireworks shop in eastern China on Sunday, just days before Lunar New Year celebrations were set to begin. Two other people suffered minor burns in the incident, according to local officials.

Jiangsu fireworks shop blast eight dead

Explosion in Jiangsu Village

The accident occurred on Sunday afternoon in a village in Donghai county, located in Jiangsu province. In a brief statement, county authorities said the explosion was triggered when a local resident set off fireworks improperly near the store. The ignition is believed to have sparked a chain reaction inside the shop, where large quantities of fireworks were stored.

Officials did not release further details about the victims or the extent of property damage. Emergency crews rushed to the scene to extinguish the flames and secure the area. An investigation into the incident is underway.

Festive Tradition With Rising Risks

The tragedy comes at a sensitive time, as families across China prepare to welcome the Lunar New Year, also known domestically as the Spring Festival. The holiday, which begins Tuesday, marks the start of the Year of the Horse in the Chinese zodiac calendar.

Lighting firecrackers at midnight has long been considered a way to ward off bad luck and usher in prosperity for the coming year. Streets and neighborhoods are often filled with the sound of exploding fireworks as communities celebrate the most important holiday on the Chinese calendar.

However, safety concerns and environmental issues have prompted many cities to restrict or ban the use of fireworks in recent years. Air pollution, particularly during winter months, has been cited as a major reason for tighter controls.

Easing of Restrictions in Some Areas

Despite previous crackdowns, some local governments relaxed fireworks bans last year, allowing limited sales and use during the holiday season. The adjustments were welcomed by residents eager to preserve traditional customs, but they also renewed debate over public safety and environmental protection.

The latest explosion has once again drawn attention to the risks associated with improper handling and storage of fireworks, especially in densely populated areas or near retail outlets.

National Call for Stronger Oversight

In response to the incident, China’s Ministry of Emergency Management issued a statement urging regional authorities to strengthen supervision across all stages of the fireworks supply chain. The ministry emphasized tighter monitoring of production, transportation, sales, and consumer use.

It specifically called for a strict ban on testing or igniting fireworks near retail stores, highlighting the dangers posed by even small sparks in areas where large quantities of explosive materials are kept.

Local governments were also instructed to identify potential blind spots in safety enforcement and to eliminate hidden hazards before the holiday begins. The ministry said comprehensive inspections and preventive measures are necessary to ensure communities can celebrate safely.

Focus on Holiday Safety

With millions of people traveling and preparing for family gatherings, authorities across the country are stepping up safety campaigns ahead of the Spring Festival. Fire departments and local administrations are increasing public awareness efforts, reminding residents to follow regulations and avoid risky behavior when using fireworks.

The deadly explosion in Jiangsu has cast a somber tone over what is traditionally a joyful period. As preparations continue for the Lunar New Year, officials are under pressure to balance cultural traditions with public safety, aiming to prevent similar tragedies during one of China’s busiest travel and celebration seasons.

 

Back to top button