Security – Armed Teen Arrested Near US Capitol Entrance
Security – An 18-year-old man was taken into custody after approaching the US Capitol with a loaded shotgun, triggering an immediate response from United States Capitol Police officers.

Suspect Stopped at West Front Entrance
The arrest unfolded shortly after noon on the Lower West Terrace of the US Capitol. According to officials, officers identified a man moving quickly toward the building while holding a shotgun. Police surrounded him within moments and ordered him to drop the weapon. He complied and was detained without resistance.
Authorities later identified the suspect as Carter Camacho, 18, from Smyrna, Georgia. Police confirmed he reached the base of the steps on the West Front before officers intervened. Firearms were drawn during the confrontation as a precaution, but no shots were fired and no injuries were reported.
Capitol Police Chief Michael Sullivan told reporters that officers on duty acted decisively after spotting the armed individual. “He followed commands to put the weapon down and lie on the ground,” Sullivan said, noting that the situation was contained within seconds.
Tactical Gear and Ammunition Recovered
Investigators said Camacho was wearing a tactical vest and gloves at the time of the incident. He was carrying additional ammunition.
Police traced the suspect’s arrival to a white Mercedes-Benz SUV parked along the 100 block of Maryland Avenue Southwest, near the West Front of the Capitol and in front of the US Botanic Garden. Inside the vehicle, officers located a Kevlar helmet and a gas mask. Authorities also said the SUV was not registered in the suspect’s name.
Officials have not indicated whether the items found in the vehicle were intended for use at the scene.
Charges Filed as Investigation Continues
Camacho now faces multiple charges, including unlawful activities, carrying a rifle without a license, possession of an unregistered firearm, and possession of unregistered ammunition. Law enforcement officials stated that he was not previously known to Capitol Police.
The department’s Threat Assessment Section has launched a review to determine the motive behind the incident. Investigators are working to establish whether the suspect acted alone and whether there was any specific target or plan.
Chief Sullivan emphasized that officers’ training contributed significantly to the outcome. He pointed out that just months ago, Capitol Police conducted an active threat drill on the West Front — the same location where Tuesday’s arrest occurred. Such exercises, he said, are carried out regularly across different areas of the Capitol complex to prepare officers for potential emergencies.
“These routine drills are designed to ensure readiness,” Sullivan explained, underscoring the importance of preparedness in high-profile federal locations.
Temporary Disruptions, No Injuries Reported
Following the arrest, authorities briefly restricted access to nearby streets and advised pedestrians to avoid the immediate area while officers secured the scene. The Capitol grounds were quieter than usual at the time, as lawmakers were out of Washington during a scheduled recess.
Police credited the rapid response for preventing any harm. “Thanks to the quick actions of the officers, no one was hurt,” the department said in a statement.
Officials also confirmed that the episode will not change existing security plans for upcoming events at the Capitol, including President Donald Trump’s scheduled State of the Union address to Congress.
The investigation remains ongoing as authorities continue to review evidence and assess the suspect’s background.
US Capitol, United States Capitol Police, Washington DC security, Capitol arrest, Carter Camacho, firearm charges, Maryland Avenue Southwest, US Botanic Garden, State of the Union, Capitol Police investigation,